Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

(BOOK 11 of the 52 week Challenge)




This selection is one of the Rhetoric-level literature books in TOG Year 3, so I decided to read it again while we are covering the 19th century. Zachary and Ryan won't be in the Rhetoric-level materials until next year, so they declined joining me in this reading. Their assignment was to read Tom Sawyer.

I think the last time I read this great American novel was in high school. It chronicles the adventures of Huckleberry Finn (a teenaged boy) and Jim (a runaway slave) as they make their way down the Mississippi River on a raft in the mid-1800's. Alongside the serious issues tackled in the book (slavery, injustice, child abuse and other cruelty, etc.) is much humor. I literally laughed out loud in several places. The storyline is definitely engaging, and will keep your interest through the 300+ pages of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment