Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sweet Bean Salad


I obtained this recipe from a friend and it is delicious and easy! I recently served it with a roast pork meal, and it was a great side dish. It is actually better the second day so plan to make it a day ahead. Serve it at room temperature or slightly warm.

1 can of white beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of French cut green beans

Drain all of the above and put in a large serving dish with one small onion, chopped, and 1 can of vegetarian baked beans (16 oz.) UNDRAINED.

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
4 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried mustard

Heat the above 5 ingredients until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over beans/onion mixture and stir to combine. Chill.

For lunch today, this Southern girl had a bowl of slightly warmed beans with leftover cornbread crumbled into them. Yum.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to make this! I'm trying to serve more beans lately but my recipe collection seems limited to chili and bean soup.

    I wanted to tell you I requested the first 3 Mrs Pollifax books from the library!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to start the 3rd Mrs. Pollifax book. My boys are getting ahead of me!

    Hope you like the beans!

    ReplyDelete