Monday, February 11, 2008

Pinto Beans

Here's my version of pinto beans. I'm serving these for dinner tonight.

1 pound dried pinto beans, washed
8 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 large onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
3 bay leaves
1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
1/4 cup chopped jalapeno peppers

Soak beans in a large pot of water overnight.

Drain beans and refill the pot with chicken stock and enough water to cover the beans with 2 inches of liquid. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Stir as needed to keep beans from sticking.

(Some people don't add the salt until after the beans are cooked, but I think they are better if the salt is added at the beginning.)

Stir the tomatoes, onion, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, and jalapeno peppers into the beans. Continue to cook, uncovered, for about an hour.

These make a very easy main dish for your meal. I serve them with homemade corn bread. Just right for these cold winter nights!

6 comments:

  1. Yummy! I've been looking for a good pinto bean recipe. I'm writing this down to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a delicious dinner! I bet it would go great with brownies for desert...like these: http://thesunnypatch.blogspot.com/2008/02/ooey-gooey-brownies.html
    I haven't made them yet (no brownies for people with the flu!) but they sound great!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lee, I'm so sorry you have the flu! Does your whole family have it?

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, thanks! This looks like a great recipe. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking for a place to buy pinto beans in singapore? Any suggestions please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I made these, and they were even better than I thought they would be! I mashed up some of the leftovers and made a nacho dip that was SOOOOOO much better than canned refried beans! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete